Monday, September 5, 2011

Surgery: The day before

My first IUI was not a success. My next step was surgery.

I may have mentioned in the past that during an ultrasound the doctor (Dr. B) discovered I had cysts on my ovaries so I had to have them removed.  Dr. B also suspected that I had endometriosis, but he wouldn't be able to tell until the surgery.

I had my pre-op appointment about a week before my surgery. I asked Dr. B what type of pain I could expect and he said that it wouldn't be too bad.  I would mainly have shoulder pain from the air they would be pumping into me and I would be fine after a few days.  I went ahead and made arrangements to take two weeks off from work just in case.

The day before the surgery I had to do a bowel prep.  I really wish I was prepared for what that would entail.  Now I normally do not discuss any type of bathroom shenanigans but hopefully this will help someone.

I took the day off before the surgery and Michael and I went to the movies.  At 3 in the afternoon I was instructed to take 4 Dulcolax tablets and at 5 I had start drinking a mixture of 64 ounces of Gatorade mixed with 238 grams of Miralax. This was a normal dosage to be taken over 7 days and I was very scared.

It took a while for it to kick in, but once it did, lets just say that it was the worse diarrhea I have ever had.  Here are some tips for surviving.

1. I wish I had eaten light meals the couple of days before hand, more fruits and vegetables.
2. Make the Gatorade as cold as possible.
3. If you're allowed to drink liquids, drink as much as possible, it will help the process.
4.  Get some baby wipes. The baby wipes saved me.
5.  Prep your bathroom, you will be spending a lot of time in there.
6. Set up camp close to the bathroom and make sure you have plenty of reading material.

Tomorrow I will tell you about what I remember about the surgery and my recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment