Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Day of My Surgery

The morning of August 24th I woke up early, around 8:00.  I had lots to do.  I tend to wait to the last minute, so I didn't have my overnight bag packed.  The nurse told me I would be at the hospital for a 23 hour hold.  I was also starving.  Technically I was supposed to stop eating at midnight, but with the cleanse the last meal I ate was around 1:00 the previous afternoon.  This was very bad for my husband.  You know how Bruce Banner turns into the Hulk when he gets angry, well that is me when I get hungry. I stop being rational and tend to do a lot of growling.

My surgery was scheduled for noon and I had to be there at 10:00.  My husband Michael, my mom and my BFF Beckie were all there to support me.  The nurse called me back pretty quickly to take get me changed, take my vitals and to start my IV.  The first two happened without any problems.  The IV was not so easy. Due to the bowel prep and not having anything to drink since midnight I was really dehydrated so he nurse had hard time finding a good vein.  She poked me5 different times in 5 different places before she finally got one to work.

I was able to sit and chat with everyone for about an hour before the doctor came in to review everything and then the anesthesiologist came in to put me to sleep.  The last thing I remember before "going to sleep" is Michael kissing me and telling me he loved me.

The next thing I know is that I am waking up in a strange room with someone screaming. It was very disorientating. I remember crying and telling the nurse that I was I was in a lot of pain.  And then I woke up in the recovery room.  The rest of the afternoon is pretty fuzzy. There was some vomiting and people talking around me.

It turns out I was scheduled to leave that evening. I returned home and it was time to start the recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment